Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Some wardrobe shopping & organizing tips, really, I'm serious

I pass unto you some tips I have learned over the years in keeping my wardrobe fresh and accessible. This is more of a hodge-podge of info (I love the phrase hodge-podge, I need to look up the origin), than it is a thoughtful piece. A little break for everyone.

I love fashion, and I love to be creative in managing my wardrobe. I am also frugal when it comes to shopping, I love a deal. I like to invest in quality pieces that will be timeless or at least make it through a few seasons. I like to mix designer with lower end brands if the look makes sense. I love updating my wardrobe with accessories vs spending tons of money to try to keep up with the trends. I shop at your traditional brick and mortar stores, but also quite a bit in the onlines world.

A few things about online retailers: First of all I love them. Don’t hate me for saying that. I always try to support the local boutiques, but if they are failing in keeping me informed or being reasonably priced, then I’ll take my business elsewhere. I will pay more at a boutique as long as the service is there. You all read my service related blog post and I stand behind it. However, I do love some of the discount designer retailers that offer great selection, great service, and exceptional price. Apart from Zappos.com who just rock with their service, 365 day return policy, no charge shipping either way…my two favorite websites are:


Next, I approach my shopping with a plan. Staying current doesn’t mean taking a look off the runway, but finding elements and incorporating them into your current wardrobe. For example, pastels and pops of brights are it for spring. I decided I wanted a yellow top, so it made my search online much easier knowing generally what I was looking for.

I also have favorite brands and designers. For example I love James Perse T’s, they are so soft and yummy, but so expensive. I saw on the Gilt calendar that James Perse was a featured designer coming up in 3 days, at 11est, so I was going to make sure I was ready to look through the items within a reasonable 4 hour period of time from when the sale first launches. I mean they sell this stuff at 20% of the actual retail. It’s awesome, but you have to act fast! By the way I scored 6 Threads for Thought tanks for $6 each the other day, which normally retail for $42 a piece. New tanks were on my spring wish list, so I triple scored getting the tanks, in modern colors, by a brand I love, and at an amazing price. Check those off the list! Items on these websites are current too. I found my birthday purse (last November) on Gilt the other day for waaaaay less than what I purchased for from my local boutique. I was kind of bummed, but I got over it, and at least we supported local.

Another thing I’m pretty excited about right now, is that Toms have come out with ballet flats. You know Toms? For every pair you buy, they donate a pair to a child in need? I just bought a pair of two-tone flats which are super cool and can be worn with anything, and I feel good about the purchase.


Apart from these shopping tips, I have these random tips that I think I are totally useful, recycle friendly, and inexpensive. Check these out:

Sick of your boots flopping over unto each other, and can’t see them? Easy solution, roll up paper bags and place them down the shaft of the boot. Voila.


Have a ton of small evening bags, clutches or large belts with no way to see them or get to them easily? Buy a hanging shoe rack and put your items in here instead. You can see them, and it’s much easier to mix and match into your wardrobe. 


I love bangles, and I used to keep them in drawers and would often walk out the door and forget to put one on.  The solution? I bought a $10 paper-towel holder and stack them on display on top of my vanity. I can decide which one I want to pick with my outfit as I’m getting ready. And when I’m not, they are a pretty mix of color as my room décor.


Do you have some off shoulder, soft fabric or large neck items that keep falling off the hangars? Wrap some elastic bands over each end and they won’t fall off anymore. I love this tip, it used to drive me crazy things falling off hangars.


Shoe bags. Great for off course keeping the dust off your shoes, but if you have a bunch hanging around they are fantastic for travel. I use mine for lingerie bags, holding my curling iron, or holding bangles and accessories.


Finally, get rid of stuff that doesn’t fit, is dated or (gasp) isn’t age appropriate anymore, or doesn’t fit with your lifestyle so much. I no longer have a need for a monster wardrobe of chic power suits, so it was time to say ‘au revoir’ to these pieces. Some I donated to charity, (check out Dress for Success in your area if you have suits to donate), while some of my other designer suits I am sending out for consignment. I am trying a local consigner, as well as talking to these folks who are getting a lot of good feedback:

http://www.shopedropoff.com/

Hope these tips are helpful. I’m already way under budget for my spring wardrobe wish list which I am jazzed about. If I move a few suits in consignment it may mean my fall wish list may be getting a little longer.

Happy shopping and organizing! If you have any other fun helpful hints I’d love to hear about them. Thanks for reading,  xo pdub


1 comment:

  1. Awesome tips! I totally needed to read this. My closet could use some organizing!! And thanks for checking out my guest post on Frockstock!

    ReplyDelete