Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Final Verdict on Laser Peels

I thought quite a bit about my play-by-play of my first couple days after enduring a laser peel, and there are a couple things I’d like to say.

First of all, any voluntary cosmetic procedure, whether it is invasive or not, needs to be seriously considered and researched. There are many risks associated with a laser zap, or a surgical incision. These procedures should not be taken lightly. Risks can range from scarring, to infection, to deformation, to death.

I have been researching laser treatments for a good 10 years. Technology changes, quickly. If you are interested yourself, a good starting point is to look up archives of Marie Claire or Allure magazine for example. These magazines often have fairly recent articles doing a side by side comparison on various cosmetic complaints, and treatment options, ranging from topical to invasive. From there you can do more of your own investigative research

Barriers to entry in the biz are also changing. Most cosmetic procedures just a few years ago were required to be performed by a board certified cosmetic surgeons. Someone with a Dr. in front of his/her name. Now you can go to some aestheticians who are trying to augment their revenue with the same procedure and took a weekend workshop in operating a machine that could burn holes in your flesh. 

My team has multiple certifications, came highly recommended, and I spoke to the primary cosmetic doctor on site before I decided upon moving forward. Look for certifications from groups such as American Society of Laser Medicine & Surgery, and American Board of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. Buyer beware, do your homework.

My team sent me home with detailed home care instructions, and they called me the next day to check on me.  They are also going to communicate with my gal Dana who does my facials, to make sure she is cognizant of what has been done to my skin. They are so professional.

I would also like to say although injections won’t be part of my beauty maintenance program, I am in no way passing judgment on anyone who decides that that is an option for themselves. It’s not really any different than what I have done from a theoretical standpoint, it’s just not for me. If face lifts, or botox work for you, then all the power to ya. Just try to understand the risks and any future ramifications as a result of your procedure.

An interesting tidbit is that Jessie (the gal who conducted the treatment) told me she was shocked at how busy they are. She said the recession has had no negative impact on their business, in fact they are busier than ever. She said many of the ladies who are currently unemployed are actually taking this downtime to finally have a little work done here and there. Interesting huh?

Oh, and what were the final results of my procedure?  I’m still not finished the re-epithelialization process yet (ie, peeling), however I can see: broken capillaries, gone, Brown spots gone or faded, Fine lines, diminished, Redness, diminished. The skin revealed is so soft and glorious, I am going to take special care to try and keep it that way. Although the recovery time is a bit longer than I thought, the results are fantastic and I would do it again.

Do your homework, be healthy, run good! pdub

Endnotes: Thanks to the crew at Roberston Plastic Surgery & Renew Skin & Renewal Centre in Madison, WI http://www.robertsonplasticsurgery.com/

Best facials in town: Dana at Serene Face & Beauty http://www.serenebeautyfb.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment